Thursday, February 11, 2010

San Diego Sweets

While on a recent trip to San Diego, CA I made a pit stop at the city's Seaport Village on West Harbor Drive. Their motto "Everything under the sun" means that you will find little tourist and kitsch shops to find souvenirs and tchotchke for all of your friends.

After taking in the view from the boardwalk, I ducked into the Crazy Shirts hut to find a gift for the BF. For more than 45 years, the Crazy Shirts brand has been selling not only funny T-shirts, but shirts dyed with unusual coloring. How about a beer-dyed shirt, or a chili pepper long-sleeve? More importantly… I found a series of shirts colored with CHOCOLATE!

As the shirt itself boasts, this shirt is perfect for the chocoholics out their…of course I bought myself one. While the shirt does not smell like a chocolate bar, it does have a lovely milk chocolate tone and is screen printed with sweets spelling out my own letter A "Chocoholic". I’m wondering if it is inappropriate to wear this at the gym.

With a beer shirt for the boy and a chocolate shirt for myself, I window-shopped the bath, hot sauce and pet shops until finding the Seaport Fudge Factory.




Instead of slabs of fudge, the Fudge Factory serves up logs of fudge in familiar flavors like rocky road. In addition to fudge, the factory’s glass cases showcased giant rice crispy treats, monster chocolate covered apples and at the top of my favorite candy list…chocolate covered cherries. It does not matter which brand, just give me a maraschino cherry enrobed in chocolate and we are BFFS.

At the fudge factory, you not only get a chocolate covered cherry…but you get the cherry bomb! A maraschino cherry is suffocated by a quarter of an inch of fudge and then dipped into a shell of chocolate. The combination of fudge and chocolate produces and egg shape and leave just the tip of the stem to hint at the inside core.

These bombs were so thick that it took me a couple of passes to finish and left chocolate and cherry syrup all over my fingers. Perhaps this was a dirty bomb?

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, very funny. We've heard a lot of good things about this store, will definitely be visiting this place next time we head to down town san diego. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete