Friday, November 6, 2009

All Hallow's Eve!


In honor of Halloween the roomies and I hosted a pumpkin carving party and pumpkin themed dinner. We squeezed 15 friends into our fittingly bright orange living room and dined on pumpkin ravioli and of course pumpkin desserts.

The kitchen became a war zone of cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin purée until out of the oven came the pumpkin cheesecake with gingerbread crust and a pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing. Two desserts are never enough and especially with that many guests so I whipped (literally) together a pumpkin and gingerbread trifle together.

I’m a big fan of the trifle. You can throw together layers of anything (chocolate, fruit and pudding) and somehow the end result always ends up tasty and awe-inspiring. Martha Stewart would have been proud of my layers of cheesecake, pumpkin pudding and gingerbread cake.

R was sweet enough to bring pumpkin ice cream from Christina’s in Inman square. Rich and creamy, the ice cream paid homage to pumpkin pie and fall in each scoop.

_________________________________________________________________

You will notice that I do not have an entry on Halloween candy. Halloween is my favorite holiday. How could it not be... you are publicly encouraged to dress up and walk from house to house to get bags full of FREE candy!


This year we only had four trick-or-treaters come to our door including one large woman dressed as a baby…diaper and all. This is four more than there were last year.


Last year, out of desperation for little kids to give candy to, I stood on the front porch waving my arms and shouting "We have candy!" trying to get the attention of the kids and families on the other side of the street.

Yes, we live on a busy street, but what kid doesn’t hunt for candy from any place they can get it? Instead I looked like a psycho who injected poison in the candy trying to get little Hansel and Gretel to come to my house.

This year, I decided that with so many young couples in the neighborhood pushing strollers and walking their children on leashes I would be the parent-approved house and hand out animal crackers. The BF is convinced that word got out that we were the lame house and that is why the kids didn’t come. I disagree and he took home a whole bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment