Thursday, May 14, 2009

How Sweet It Is!


The cupcake is not for bake sales and birthday parties anymore, the opening of the second Sweet bakery in Harvard Square in Cambridge, MA has given the personal treat an academic backing.

Nestled between the Curious George bookshop and Tealuxe, Sweet offers a Juicy Couture style to simple flavors. Pink and brown wallpaper compliment the clean white and pink furnishings. Clean and modern, the store mimics the cupcake flavors featured in the patisserie case. All of the frostings, fillings and batters are freshly prepared from scratch and highlight high quality cocoas and vanillas.


The shop’s signature flavor ‘Red Velvet’, also happens to be my favorite cake ever. Puffy cream cheese frosting floats on top of ruby red colored cake flavored with Bensdorp Dutch cocoa.


I’m a sucker for red velvet even at $3.25. My grandmother Elizabeth used to make red velvet cake for special occasions, and I would request it just so my brother, then allergic to red food coloring, couldn’t partake. She would use two whole bottles of red. I know this is evil…but don’t mess with me and cake. Thank goodness for the portion-controlled cup, or I would eat a whole cake.

You don’t have to be a college co-ed or Harvard professor to enjoy these treats either. My virgin visit was the highlight of a rainy day visit with a friend (she got the chocolate coconut cupcake). Sweet seems to be becoming the perfect ending to a date or a girl’s night.


Unfortunately besides miniature cakes, Sweet does not offer coffee or tea. However, there are cold beverages including milk available.

Deliveries are available within Boston (the flagship store is on Massachusetts Ave. in the Back Bay) and Cambridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment